We’re just 21 days away from the first serve of the 2018 season! Here are some news tidbits and statistical trivia to tide you over until then!
- The Lady Vols have announced Heather Gearhart will be joining the squad as volunteer assistant coach this year. The hire completes the main portion of Eve Rackham’s coaching staff. Like three of the other four members of the new staff, Gearhart also has ties to the University of North Carolina — as a player from 2012 to 2015.
- Volleyball tickets should go on sale next week, on August 7th, at AllVols.com and the Tennessee ticket office. Courtside seats will again be available as well for $250 for the year. Email Associate Director of Fan Experience Rocky Kundert (email@example.com) for details.
- Tennessee is putting out a call to former players for an upcoming Alumni Weekend, scheduled from August 31st to September 2nd.
? CALLING ALL #TNVB ALUMS ?
? Alumni Weekend
?? Aug. 31-Sept. 2
? Rocky Top
— Tennessee Volleyball (@Vol_VBall) July 31, 2018
- Tennessee is 46-7 all time in the month of August. Their very first match in the month was in 1990. They only played in seven August matches prior to the rally scoring era beginning in 2001. Since then, they’ve played in August every season except 2004.
- The Lady Vols’ first match of 2018 is on August 24th. That ties the earliest start of the season in program history. The team has played two previous matches on that date, both losses to ranked teams: vs #1 Nebraska in 2007 and vs #12 Florida State in 2012.
- In the last two decades, three players have worn the #21 jersey: Carlie Kearney in 2004, Lauren LaFlamme from 2005 to 2008 (she wore the reverse #12 her true freshman year), and Britney Vallez in 2016. Good luck to Tennessee newcomer Danielle Mahaffey who will wear the number this season!